Wednesday 12 March 2014

Introduction



Welcome to my new blog! The purpose of this blog is for me to share my love of metal, review the albums I own and hopefully introduce some people to some good music that they haven't heard before.

I have been listening to metal for about 10 years now, I own and have listened to thousands of albums in my time so far. I am in no way a qualified expert, but I think I know a fair bit about the subjects I am writing about. My opinions are mine and I welcome open discussions, I won't tolerate idiocy.

I am a purist and I only buy CD's, I'm not against digital downloads but I am against piracy. The old excuse of not being able to find the CD is crap, if you can search and download albums online, you can search and find albums. I have been doing it since I first started to listen to metal and I have some quite rare albums, it just adds to the joy of listening.




 With each album reviewed I will give a brief history of the album itself, how I came upon it and give it a rating out of 10. For the purposes of this blog I will use the following 8 sub-genres for reference purposes only, I don't want to get into a huge thing about the sub-genres as they become extremely ridiculous. I won't use speed metal as there are 2 conflicting types which won't help my cause.

  1. Heavy
  2. Doom
  3. Death
  4. Black
  5. Thrash
  6. Power
  7. Progressive
  8. Hair
I will try to provide some links for listening and purchasing purposes. I recommend buying anything you enjoy, it is a way of thanking the artist for creating the work.In the meantime I use RateYourMusic to track my collection and ratings and use Grooveshark to listen to streamed music. I have also started playing around with Last.fm  

I am currently working on ripping my CDs to utilise my own streaming solution using DropBox and another application, hopefully Winamp as that has been my favourite media player for the past 15 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment